Here is a description of how to get the KICK into Wi-Fi pass through command mode. That is, you communicate with the Wi-Fi sub-section of the KICK. After entering $$$ (see below) all commands you enter are passed through to the Wi-Fi module. The Wi-Fi module has its own processor running the Wi-Fi stack. The KICK mcu talks to the Wi-Fi mcu with the same commands as you can type in here.
Make sure The KICK is running Kick_firmware_1.94 or newer, available here.
- Turn off KICK and connect it to the computer with a USB cable
- Turn on the KICK while holding down the BR[-] button (the leftmost button along the top). This will enable USB serial communication.
- Wait for new hardware wizzard
- Locate the INF file (download it here)
If you’re on Win8 please read: How To Install Any Digitally Unsigned Drivers On Windows 8
- Check Device Manager for Kick COM port
- Open a terminal software such as TeraTerm
- Connect to the serial port you just created
Make sure of that the Wi-Fi is not on. ( Do not press the KICK Connect button, by default the Wi-Fi is OFF )
- Set the baud rate to 9600
- Type $$$ and hit enter
- Wait for KICK to start the Wi-Fi module. This is going to take a few seconds, you will see the green connect light blinking.
- KICK will is now in Wi-Fi pass-through command mode and commands you enter are processed by the Wi-Fi module
- The exit command will exit from command mode and stop the Wi-Fi. You can restart Wi-Fi again with the $$$ command
There are a number of commands you can send to the Wi-Fi module:
get com displays the communication settings
show rssi displays the last received signal strength
set wlan phrase <password >sets a password
join <string> joins a network
You can download the full command reference here.
If you mess around too much and the KICK can’t communicate with the Wi-Fi module anymore it will do a factory restore the next time it starts to try to re-establish communication with the Wi-Fi module.
- If you would like to reboot the Wi-Fi module type reboot
- After the reboot has completed you can enter command mode again with $$$
- After a factory reset please type exit and then $$$ again to set up UART baudrate again.